Sunday, April 8, 2012

History?? Easter - Passover?

This weekend, April 6th – 8th, marks the Easter Holiday and Passover. Easter for the Christians and Passover for the Jews. 

While I have not seen any news reports as of this writing, I cannot help but think that on the two holidays that are among the holiest for these two faiths, there will be an extraordinary amount of violent death. A sad comment on the condition of the world around us to be sure, but never the less a truism that we cannot escape. No matter how much we want to. 

Recently, I made the decision to return to school and attempt to gain a degree in history. I did it for several reasons, but I guess the three biggest are; 1.) I can and have the time these days. 2.) To keep a promise made many years ago. 3.) Because at my age the chances of paying off the student loans I had to obtain from the government are pretty slim. Yeah I know it’s not the way a conservative should act. And yes I know that there are going to be those of you out there who think that this is a pretty shitty thing to do. But from my perspective, if the Supreme Court fails to over turn Obama Care, then the government has a vested interest in keeping my winkled old butt alive until I can at least pay off the Student Loan. 

One other reason is the fact that I have come to the realization that since my birth some centuries past (a small bit of humor. Very small), I have actually lived through a good portion of the history of this nation during the past century and hopefully well into this century. 

I have lived through 11 Presidents, some good, some not so good, and some really crappy. I won’t tell you which ones I think are really crappy. You’ll have to figure that one out yourself. 

I have also lived through a period in our nation’s history when as a country we achieved greatness, and then let that greatness fall by the way side into mediocrity, and then shear stupidity. 

I have watched as our young men and women have shown great acts of courage and sacrifice while serving this nation in battles that by rights we should never have involved ourselves in. Then I have watched as our Leaders have made those sacrifices even greater acts of futility by virtue of their actions and failed leadership. 

Recently I received a comment from some one who didn’t have the balls to use his or her name concerning a blog post entitled “Obama’s Coils of Rage”. One of the things stated was that I was “no Ben Franklin”. True enough, I’m not. But then again I like to think that had Ben Franklin been alive today he would be raising as much hell as possible given the present circumstances. 

About now you’re asking; “What’s this got too do with Easter and the Passover”? 

Well, simply put, what it has to do with these two holidays is this; 

From the Christian perspective this time marks the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the savior that god sent to us for the remission of our sins. From the Jewish perspective it marks the trials and tribulations of the Jews and the fact that while god sent the Angel of death to take the first born of the Egyptians he passed over the homes of the Jews bearing the blood of a lamb painted on the lintels of their doors. This was the final act of god prior to Moses leading the Jews out of Egypt and out of oppression and slavery. 

From my perspective, these two holidays may and could represent the resurrection of American and the falling of the oppressive environment that our nation’s government has placed us under. I’m not hoping that God will take their first born, but frankly a severe wakeup call is needed. 

Okay, my mind works in weird ways, but the fact remains that things are bad and from the looks of it they aren’t going to get any better any time soon. Our economy is on the verge of collapse and if it doesn’t fail within the next four years, it certainly will within the next ten. 

There are dark times ahead for us if we don’t get our collective shit together and do it now. Think of things like, Armageddon, Mad Max, The Road, and other similar books. Remember the dark ages when Rome fell and the Goths took control of what was once the Roman Empire. 

Think of a society that is no longer capable or prepared to find its own food or build its own shelter. A world without cars, electricity, or medical facilities to take care of the sick and injured. Think of the death and destruction that will ensue when people revert to their base instincts in order to try and survive. 

Then think of a world where everything that marked us as a civilized species no longer exist and the rule of basic law has failed. 

Pretty extreme isn’t it? Now think about what you can do now to prevent this from happening. Then get off of your fat asses and get out there and do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to comments. Here you can agree, disagree or present a good arguement. Just keep it clean and do not attack others.

But do not expect me to be nice when you are stupid. If I am stupid tell me and I'll check it out and correct it.