Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Conservative columnist, Would be Freedom Fighter, and now movie critic

I hope that all of you who honor me with your readership have had a very Merry Christmas, and that the New Year brings all of you joy and prosperity, and all of the things that you hope for and deserve.

During the Christmas Holiday, I had the rare opportunity to watch a movie, which is something that I rarely do simply because I cannot afford the prices most movies houses charge and because I generally find them to be a waste of time and effort. In fact, I would not have seen this particular movie had it not been for the generosity of one of my daughters for the Christmas season. The last movie that I actually took the time and spend the money to see, was Tom Hanks’ “Forrest Gump.” Yeah, I know, “Run Forrest! Run!”
I thoroughly enjoyed that one, although I have to admit that I hated the ending, because not only did it leave me wanting more, I wanted it to have a happier ending. Knowing this, my daughter thought that I might enjoy this one. Besides, I think that she did it more for her mother than for me, because it had been sometime since I have taken that lovely lady anywhere other than the store.
The movie was Tom Hanks’ “Cloud Atlas.” This particular movie intrigued me from the start. It is unusual for Tom Hanks to have a movie that is generally panned by the critics, and I have found that when those particular keepers of the artistic morality pan something, I thoroughly enjoy it. And once again, I was not disappointed. Mostly because this movie finally gave truth to my opinions of those flat heads who believe the general public has given them the right to direct and tell them what they will or will not enjoy, or that their opinion really counts. Conversely, I am not sure that my opinion really counts either, but it’s my opinion and as such, I thought that I would share it with you in the hope that you might consider my thoughts on the matter.
For the record, yes at times it is difficult to watch, but only if you get up and go get popcorn or take a leak. So I recommend that you do both before starting to watch the movie. Bear in mind that the plot and story line is slightly convoluted and is in reality three stories intertwined with one another. The stories take place in, and not necessarily in this order, the past, present, and future, future. If that makes any sense to begin with, but then I seem to have a mind that is actually able to unravel the mysteries of convolution.
Nevertheless!! While it may be difficult at times to follow the story and plot line in general, individually, without giving away the story(ies) each tells a complete story, and each is intertwine with the other. In the ending, if you watch closely, the main story comes into view and all of a sudden, you have an epiphany that actually will boggle your mind. The problem with the critics is that they have no mind at all, nor patience.
The one thing about the movie that I will give away is this; individually and collectively, the story is about lives and their ultimate influence upon one another, doing the right thing, bravery and Freedom. If you sit, just watch, and not analyze I promise you that you will thoroughly enjoy it. One thing for sure, is that this time around, Hanks presented a movie for not just entertainment but food for the mind. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to comments. Here you can agree, disagree or present a good arguement. Just keep it clean and do not attack others.

But do not expect me to be nice when you are stupid. If I am stupid tell me and I'll check it out and correct it.